Joseph Segall and his friends first came into contact with the Gospel when they began to read Christian literature left behind by a colporteur from Budapest in 1874. They studied it secretly, taking turns. Bernstein writes:
After being solemnly impressed by the truth, they wrote a letter to the Rev. F. G. Kleinhenn, asking for admission to some institution in which they might learn more of the Gospel. Mr. Kleinhenn replied that he had no such home, and could not encourage anyone to come to him except on his own means and on his own responsibility. However, one day Segall and his friend Suffrin appeared at Mr. Kleinhenn’s house, and he had to take them in. They were then instructed by Mr. Kleinhenn and Mr. Bernstein for some considerable time, and then baptised. The history of the two runs to some extent together. The relations of each tried their utmost to win them back to Judaism, but they had grace given to them not to yield. ”
In the same year the two continued to a school in Basel for training, after which they applied to the London Jews’ Society , studied at its missionary college and began to work as missionaries. Segall worked first of all in the UK, and then was sent to take carge of the mission at Damascus, where he also acted as chaplain to the English ex-patriates there.
Bernstein, A. Jewish Witnesses for Christ. Keren Ahvah Meshichit, Jerusalem. New edition 1999